Wow, what a great day at PDC yesterday. The keynote was exciting, especially the announcement of the free Windows Phone 7 for all attendees. I’ve already spent significant time getting familiar with it. I am very impressed so far. I’ll try to have a subsequent post soon to review it and compare it to my Droid.
The keynote started off with some great demos:
- IE9 and HTML5 hardware acceleration
- Windows Phone 7 – Facebook and other apps
- Windows Phone 7 – Amazon Kindle app (not released to public yet)
- Visual Studio performance analysis tools for Windows Phone 7
- Azure demo of Pixar’s Renderman in the cloud
- Don Box’s demo of SQL Azure Reporting (SSRS for Azure) which should be available as CTP by end of this year
After that I went to Anders Hejlsberg’s “The Future of C# and Visual Basic” talk which introduced async methods. Here is a slide discussing unifying asynchrony by pulling CPU, Network, I/O, and async methods into common approach:
You can watch Hejlsberg’s full talk here.
I’ll complete this post later, don’t want to miss the beginning of PDC Day 2.